Sunday, October 10, 2010

It's Only A Game, Right...Not in Alabama!

I am a life long Alabamian.

In Alabama, nearly everyone falls into one of two categories: Auburn Tiger or Alabama crimson tide. Oh, there are plenty of other universities and colleges in Alabama, but you will rarely hear of them.

It is the first thing you learn about someone you meet here and we are particulary blunt about it. One's response sets the tone for the entire relationship from that point forward. It becomes the excuse for hard luck, rudeness, mischief, crime, the list goes on and on.

"You will have to excuse poor ole Bubba, he pulls for Alabama, ya know."

Heaven forbid you should be a natural born Alabamian and pull for someone else. We can deal with the transplants, they can't help themselves, but for someone to be raised in the great state of Alabama the Beautiful and not chose a side is just short of heresy.

The answer no one seems to be able to handle is the "I don't follow football."

As with any true in-state rivalry, you pull for one and whomever is playing the other.

As you may know, life has been unbearable for half the state since the crimson tide won the BCS National Championship back in January. The posturning and pontification of the fans is nauseating. One would think they arranged a Middle East peace treaty or something. This attitude earned them the top spot on another poll.

It was time for a little humble pie and it looks like South Carolina has served it up with their 35-21 victory over the #1 team in the nation.

Now I've been chastised for not rooting for the "home state team" in other games. That makes about as much sense as rooting for the criminals because we have prison in our state. My question is why should I? Oh yeah, I hear the whole "we'd root for you" arguement, but for the most part, that's a lie. I mean this rivalry is so fierce, they are almost willing to kill over it. (As a matter of fact, I'm not certain Auburn fans are part of that problem.)

Personally, I could really care less who is playing whom, as long as they are not playing Auburn. I am for Auburn and no one else.

Yeah, I've posed as both a Miami fan and a Texas fan, but only to rile the Tide fans in my life. It was all in good fun. It is, after all, just a game.

I was raised an Auburn fan, much like I was raised Baptist. I've known nothing else, though I will say, I see nothing on the other side that would make me want to switch either.

The double talk is amazing. They are eating humble pie, but talking with their mouths full, spitting all over everyone. "It's only one loss!" Auburn will get theirs next week with Arkansas" "Nobody unranked Kentucky almost beat you" "You're just jealous because you are not national champs." "Why do the Auburn fans have to make such a big deal out of this?" I'll tell you why. Because champions should be not be arrogant. They should act with humility and tact. Yeah, it was "only one loss", but it was enough to knock them down from #1 to #8. Behind the undefeated Auburn team, who is #7.

It might only be for a week, but I say, EnJOY the view!

No comments: