Monday, October 11, 2010

Who Said You Can't Go Home Again?

It is Homecoming week at dear old Leeds High School.

Only there is a new Leeds High School that they built in the last two years, so it's not really "dear old LHS" anymore. They are still using the original football stadium, where my dad ran down the field wearing #55, my aunt cheered, my little brother drummed his heart out. And I twirled, marching down the 5o yard line. It's home.

This is the week when all the alumni are supposed to come enjoy the game, have a parade and crown a pretty girl to reign over it all. Part of the festivities will be a performance of the alumni band, and for the second year now, the alumni majorettes. I am very excited and proud to be a part of this group.

I began twirling at young age. I really loved the sport and skill. I was a majorette for LHS from 1983 until 1985, the year I was captain. In my opinion, it's the only thing I've really been good at. No sense letting that talent go to waste. Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Last year, the group ranged from classes of 1967 to 2007. Fourteen ladies led the band into the stadium and strutted their stuff. This year, ten ladies will be twirling. Just like last year, will also be raising money for the LHS band program.

For about an hour, I will get to feel like I'm 17 again.

Who says you can't go home again?

No comments: