Friday, April 25, 2008

"...the best laid plans of mice and men..."

Well, looks like I havent' posted in four months.

Sorry .... they say "men make plans and God laughs."

Had a lot going on. Whenever I have good intentions, something always seems to go awry!

Which reminds me of a favorite quote (if you can call it that)

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

I say it aloud whenever something goes screwy...so much so, my children look at me like I've bumped my head. Guess they haven't gotten to Steinbeck yet.

I was in 6th grade when I first read "Of Mice and Men" (I'd read it twice by the time it was "required" in high school. Lucky me, I just kinda skimmed it as a refresher, while all my classmates groaned and slogged thru it LOL!) It was there that I first read that quote from Robert Burns poem To A Mouse.

I don't know why that has stuck with me all these years. It's just one of those funny little things stuck in my brain, like the phone number of our house in Lovick when I was 7 or this weird sing-songy exerpt from a Mark Twain story (always in the voice of my 7th grade English teacher, Mr Dawson!) "..punch brothers, punch with care, punch in the presence of the passenger". I can sing ANY of the School House Rock commercials in their entirety....go ahead, try me.

Oddly, I can remember all these things, but never anything important.

I can tell you the phone numbers of about 10 of the regular customers I deal with and the account number of a good 15 to 20 more. I can practically recited our product code list, but do not ask me what my home phone number is. I can't remember anyone's birthday, or the ABC's without singing them.

Well...of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

No comments: