Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Questions and Answers

Sorry, I like to keep my blog lighthearted but now that I'm older, I find myself being serious over more and more things.

Thanks to a discussion by local radio personalities Rick and Bubba I've finally heard an explanation of the national debt and our government's current level of spending that I actually understand.

Welcome to the "National Debt Road Trip"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5yxFtTwDcc

With an explanation like this, I'm sure even Scooter would be able to understand it! The question is, why doesn't everyone else?

The next segment on Rick and Bubba was about czars.
The word "czar" has frightful connotations alone. I, of course, was familiar with the traditional use of the word as the fomer ruling entity of Russia.

But my love for language got the better of me and I had to pull out my trusty dictionary (Webster's II New College Dictionary) and see what else it may mean. I found 3 meanings. The first being the Russian emperor, the second was "autocrat" ( meaning "1.a ruler having absolute or unlimited power 2. person with unrestricted power or authority." !!) and the third, listed as Informal "one in authority:leader"

Apparently, our president has appointed 32 people as "czars" over certain things. (this lists only 28).

http://sayanythingblog.com/readers/entry/a_list_of_obamas_czars

Why the president would need these 32 "czars"(persons with absolute, unrestricted power)? I guess a cabinet is not enough. Of course these people will not be able to do it alone, they will need offices and paid staff members and phone bills and lights.

Guess this is what the president meant when he said he'd create jobs.



No comments: