Thursday, April 19, 2012

Please Shut Up So I Can Talk

Did you ever have someone in your life that always has to one-up you? That what ever you say, they will have a problem ten times worse? Nothing you say ever stands on it's own, because they are going to one-up you....sometimes to the brink of death. My grandmother is one of these people. I will never be anything to my grandmother, a fact she reminds me of whenever she has the chance. I try to avoid her and all her negativity.

Or everything they say about you is negative: your kids' are awful, your husband's awful, you are awful? Nothing like sitting through that conversation over and over again. You start to see your own life as shitty ( yes Mother, I said it) because in comparison, theirs is soooooooooo much better and they tell you it is at ever possible chance.

They will also turn all your positives around to be something negative too.

Or they make your negatives worse, when all you really wanted to do was vent and have someone tell you that this too will pass. Yeah, it's a small thing, but it's really helpful to have that confirmation from an outside source.

Or they are judgemental and "holier than thou. They tell you that you are selfish/ childish/ whatever, but then turn around and talk incessantly about their own, depressing problems and expect you to listen.

Eventually, you give up. They wont hear what you have to say anyway, because they are so focused on their own problems. They will find things, silly, unrelated things, to blame the disconnect on, but it really all boils down to them and all that they've said.

But they have no idea what's going on in your life because they never stop talking.

Did you ever want to just scream "PLEASE shut up so I can talk"

Yesterday, I did that.

No comments: