Wednesday, December 27, 2017

End of the Year Check In

Well it is time again to post my annual end of the  year check in.

The holidays have traditionally been very depressing for me. However, this year was so busy, I didn't really have time to think, much less lament.

Christmas was very frenetic, and almost over scheduled. I had several places to be throughout the day and had to eat at every one.  I felt somewhat obligated to eat at each place and noticed that my energy was quickly waning.  I blew off my last activity, a party of one of my karaoke buddies, quite by accident. My one hour power nap turned into four hours and I missed the party!

I did have time to put together this little list to let you, Darling Reader, know where things are in my life right now.

I continue to "choose joy" every day. And sometimes that means "choosing Joy." And that is okay.

Financially, I am blessed. I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back, food on my table with a little money left over to be a little blessing to others and still have some fun.

I still don't miss the satellite.

I am comfortable in my own skin now. Of course, my new gym habit (3 times a week for over a year old now) has my skin fitting me better than ever. Ha Ha! I am stronger now than I was when I was 30. Along with the strength and toned muscles, I am improving my balance. My cardiologist is impressed with the obvious side effects: a healthier heart! I blew my very first stress test out of the water.

Speaking of the gym, I am a key holder now. They trust me. They have included me in their mission. I am making a difference in people's lives. I think before it is all over, I may become a trainer myself.

I have developed a great group of friends, who love and encourage me. My trainer and her husband, the girls in my toning and lifting classes, the friends I sing karaoke with every week, folks at my church. My bestie, now a grandmother, has been burning the roads up in the six weeks since the grandboy's birth, so I don't get to see her as much as I used to.

I go out with a great group of friends, singing karaoke almost every weekend.  I sing what I enjoy, mostly 70's pop.  "Desperado," "Annie's Song,"and "California Dreamin'" are currently crowd favorites. But my signature song is Natalie Merchant's "Wonder."  My favorite line is "I'm a challenge, to your balance. I'm over your heads, how I confound you and astound you." I try my best to applaud everyone who has the courage to stand in a roomful of strangers and sing. The applause is nice and many tell me that they can tell that I am having fun. Those in the inner circle tell me they are happy to see me having fun again.

Someone pointed out once, that I apparently can't cook, but I came to realize I actually don't LIKE to cook. So I decided to never cook again. I eat pretty well and have been pretty successful at keeping it healthy. I haven't cooked myself a meal in almost a year.  This week, however, my trainer announced that she wants me eating a strictly regimented diet, so I may have to bite the bullet and break out the crock pot.

So many things to look forward to in 2018.

EnJOY it!







No comments: