Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Diabetic Body:An Owner's Manual

I have decided it is time to, not only come to terms with the fact that I have Type II diabetes, but to wage all out war to beat it back to wherever it came from before coming into my life five years ago. I successfully beat it once...once being medicated with two pills a day, to being diet controlled.

But, like everything else, life happens. Work, raising a family,and all the other day to day stresses, I let my diet get out of hand.

After nearly a month of feeing absolutely horrible, I decided I could ignore this spectre no longer.

Last Saturday, after waking with a severe miagrane and nausea, I took my blood sugar reading for the first time in months. It was 200. Not good having had my last meal 12 hours prior.

I've learned over the years, when my blood sugar is high, I generally feel rotten and my body will attempt to rid itself of this excess in various, unpleasant methods. Of course, tinkling, a lot, is the most common, but there are times when I can be mistaken for a stomach flu victim.
I can say, that after I "called a few dinosaurs" my headache was gone and I felt somewhat better.

Later in the afternoon, Cyndi and I went to our local bookstore to wander around, have a cup of coffee and relax, an activity we indulge in at least once a week.

We enjoy wandering around, gathering books to look over and a savor good cup of coffee. There are only a few comfy chairs spread around the store. Next to the pair we chose, there was a long table of books marked half price. Most are artsy, coffee table books, children's books or the latest celebrity cookbooks. But one caught my eye as I prepared to settle into my comfy gray chair. It was titled "The Diabetic Body: An Owner's Manual." With a title like that, I had to add it to my stack.

Having discussed the morning's events, I waved the book at Cyndi. "Guess I need to buy it, huh?" I quipped. "Most certainly" she grinned.

As I thumbed through it, it became more and more apparent that I was meant to stumble across it. Most things I've read about Type II diabetes were lots of medical jargon and things over my head. I wanted to learn about my disease, not earn a degree in it. But this book seemed to be geared more for everyday people like me.

So far, I've learned about how early Greek physicians recorded what we now recognize as "classic" diabetic symptoms, the differences between Type I and Type II, and how most glucometers read blood sugar. I try to take 15 minutes a day to read and those 15 minutes seem to be paying off. I've managed to maintain what looks like the beginning of some serious weightloss, and I'm beginning to feel better.

Finally, I feel like I have a tool to help me get my life back under control!

No comments: