Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Best Friend's Wedding

After month's of planning, we finally pulled it off. My best friend's wedding.

Finding the perfect dress...



picking the flowers, the favors, and the cake!

It was absolutely beautiful, despite the torential rain storm 20 minutes before the ceremony, and the bride-to-be/partner in crime/voice of reason/best friend was nothing short of breath-taking. As Honor Attendant Numero Uno (I despise "matron" of honor...makes me sound really old, this title sounds much more fun, doncha think?) I didn't look so bad myself.




The resourceful bride planned and executed the whole event herself, with a little help from me and her mom, and saved some money buy making use of her creative, artistic talents.

I would have to say the most ingenius of our planning was turning this $5 thift store find (formerly a ladies size 16 tea length frock)



into a perfect ankle length flower girl dress,complete with straps made from the surplus fabric.




Mom was in charge of the flower arranging, with the exception of the bouquets, and the rented arch behind us, that the bride had purchased the lights, flowers and greenery to cover herself. There were some heated discussions as to who's vision of wedding decour should be followed ( I thought I was going to need a striped shirt before it was over!) but I am happy to say that the resulting arrangements were quite lovely.



We spent most of Friday and Saturday decorating and fetching and complaining (and shedding a tear or two). The arch had consumed most of our decorating time, causing the bride to have a minor meltdown, when it was discovered that dear old mom had used the greenery we had purchased to cover it in the other arrangements.

I am a list maker. I like to make lists of things to be done, and then check them off as I do them so that there is no question what is done and what is left. Usually, the bride is too. Why we deviated from our usual list-making practice, I do not know. All I know, had it not been for a wedding cake illustration on the balloons I tied to the sign post marking the turn to the church, we'd had all almost forgotten to pick up the bride's cake!

Tigger got to get in date number two with the lovely Miss Mary Mac (aka Honor Attendant #2). Both were more than pleased to pose for this picture.



Everyone looked lovely!




It had been a very popular Saturday to get married. At the same time, my cousin was getting married in a posh affair (12 bridesmaids...no kidding!) that ended in a swanky country club reception. My grandmother provided me with snapshots and details of what I had missed. She breathlessly estimated what the bride's family must surely have spent. I have to say, while it sounded impressive, I was much more impressed with the simple, elegant affair I had helped to arrange.
When it boils down to it, both couples are just as "married" as the other.

1 comment:

Trish said...

You guys look amazing! I wish the happy couple a life filled with lots of special memories and lots of love and laughter!