Saturday, March 19, 2011

Rednecks....recycling BEFORE it was vogue

A recent Facebook exchange with one of my friends from Oregon about my mother's newest yard art, a bottle tree, got me to thinking. Rednecks were recycling long before it was vogue!

With the push for everyone to "go green," recycling and repurposing (a.k.a. "upcycling") is all the rage. But it is hardly new. I've grown up with it. The act of taking an object, usually trash, and giving it new life as something else, is a Southern tradition. I've always known that Southerners were a resourceful lot. But the ingenuity of the Redneck brings recycling and repurposing to new heights.


I share the following examples of Redneck Arts and Crafts

The Crochet Beer Can Hat


For men...






























and for ladies



The Tire Tulip



The Bottle Tree

My mother's is very similar to this one, but not quite as "full." I picked this photo, not only because it was very colorful, it also showed a variety of bottles. She only has wine bottles on hers right now, but after I shared this photo, she's going to explore more options.



Beer/Soda Can Pinwheel





A Candy Wrapper Belt






with matching Gum Wrapper Bag






to go with the Gum Wrapper Prom Dress






or maybe the Juice Box Purse







to go with the Duct Tape Prom Dress





Ladies Activewear

Storm Shelter



The Classic: A White Porcelain Planter





And lastly, our (yes, I do mean OUR, as in my family...see Darling Hubby in his favorite Auburn hat and little Kit-Kat?) house boat. We call it, The Campoon.



My grandparents taught me that anything with use left in it, was still worth something to someone. Sometimes, you just have to think outside of the box.


~En-Joy

No comments: