Friday, January 24, 2014

Post Mortem of a Marriage: The Early Days


This picture has sat on my desk for the duration of my relationship.  I've always loved it, because it depicts two young people, totaly smitten with one another, happy, and ready to face the world together.

The date, on the back reveals it to have been taken seventeen years ago tomorrow: January 25, 1997

This was when Darling Hubby first told me that he was in love with me.

 
 
That following Monday at work, several of us went to the local Chinese buffet. This was my fortune. I remember how we had all squealed and agreed that it was meant to be.  When I got the pictures back, I taped it to the front, and stuck it all in a frame. It has set on my desk to the left of my computer for the past seventeen years.
 
Did you know that Chinese fortune cookies are really an American invention?  The most popular story goes that Chinese immigrant, David Jung, living in Los Angeles and founder of the Hong Kong Noodle Company invented the fortune cookie in 1918. Apparently  David was concerned with all the poor he saw in the streets near his shop. So he created a cookie to pass out to them for free. Each cookie contained an inspirational verse written by the local Presbyterian minister. Not exactly ancient Chinese wisdom.  Kind of a let down, huh? 
 
 That just goes to show, you shouldn't take advice on life from a half-baked cookie.
 
 
 
 

No comments: