Monday, March 2, 2015

Not Exactly Snowmageddon 2015

This week was uber hectic. It seemed that we spent the entire week under some sort of weather warning.  I also realized that everyone on staff, save one, lived above  the dreaded " I-20 corridor"
 
Every day I carried my "Snow Bag," an awesome, practical Christmas gift from the Chief, after my Snowmageddon 2014 ordeal.
 

 
So the super awesome contents of the Snow Bag contains two blankets, a traditional on and a "space blanket" that holds in heat. I have little snacks (gluten free, of course) water and Gatorade, a flashlight, transistor radio, a first aid kit, an air horn, wet wipes, glow sticks, and hand warmers. I threw in a spare pair of socks and long johns for good measure. Bring on the snow!


When the weather event finally did arrive, we closed my office early.  This time I made it home safely. I laid down for a nap, only to wake to find, no winter wonderland. Not even sleet.   My boss posted pictures of her family frolicking in the eight inches of snow they got at her home. I was bummed.

W texted me to find out if I was okay. I no sooner hit send and my power went out. Great. I sat stunned for a full two minutes when everything powered up around me. I later learned that a tree had fallen at the end of my street. Neighbors there spend the next 24 hours without power.

Another friend in the National Guard, who, for lack of something better, I will just call "Jody" (cause he is cute enough to steal the girl and go) had been activated for the storm. He wanted a break from an online security training video.   We texted back and forth about our "storm."  He sent me a picture from the wet, but not snowy, parking lot of his armory. 

Suddenly my weather radio went off.  It nearly took 10 years of my life. The announcer said that the snow should be starting  for the I-20 corridor within the hour.  A text from Jody then told me the same thing.

I texted him this picture when the snow started. He shot back that he was jealous. He was streaming a movie to his phone and told me he would check on me later.

 
Within the hour the accumulation had progressed to this.

 
W texted me again to ask if I had been snowed in yet. By the time the snow stopped, I had a lovely coverage. I texted this pic to W and Jody.

 
I know that it doesn't compare to the foot that some people got, but I'm not really a fan anyway.
 
The sun the next day made short work of it. 
Saturday was 60 degrees.
 
Winter in Alabama
 
gotta love it

No comments: