Sunday, May 31, 2015

Thank You Random Walmart Stranger

This has been a rough week. I spent the past week in North Carolina preparing for the Devine Miss M's wedding. But I will get to that story later. While I was away, Dooder called to inform me that yet another old school chum had died. His funeral was today and that fact was on my mind as we rolled back into town at 2:00 a.m. this morning.

This particular friend had been a been our high school drum major, a leader in my circle of friends. I had many memories of him. He was just a year older than me. Best friend of my high school boyfriend, he had ridden shotgun on many an adventure. We ate breakfast at his house before school nearly everyday my sophomore and junior year.  He was tall, handsome, and very smart. He was one of the first people that I knew who had a home computer. He was very musically talented as well, playing trumpet, mellophone, and French horn. I am told his descent into mental illness and prescription abuse led to his eventual death. Despite only having had only a few hours of sleep after the nine hour drive in from Durham, I had to attend the funeral.

On a related note, my favorite "most expensive shoes ever" made an unexpected detour to Georgia with one of the bridesmaids. That changed what I had planned to wear to the funeral home. Going with my my tried and true black sheath dress, pearls and the "second most expensive shoes ever" that are not as comfortable as the MESE. My hair was still pretty decent from the wedding yesterday (thank you for a great curly cut), all I had to do was jump in the shower and head out.

There were several former band members.

After attending the service. I had to run to into Wallyworld to stock back up after my week away.
 I usually start at the back and work my way toward the front. Then all I have left to do is check out.
Standing in the produce aisle for a bag of kale, a man. mid-to-late walked up to me.

'Excuse me," he said. " but I need to tell you that I think you are just stunning"

I stood there, bag of kale in hand. poised over my cart. Mouth agape, I looked behind me to see who he was addressing.  He continued.

"It is nice to see a woman who knows how to dress herself. Women don't know how to dress properly anymore."

I could feel my face flush, but I did remember to say thank you. A woman wearing a ratty tee-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops passed between me and the produce case. His eyes followed her.

"Its nice to see a woman dressed like a lady. I just thought that you should know."

With that said. he walked away. 

I had needed that little ego boost and I know that I stood up a little straighter as I made my way to the check out.

Thank you random Walmart stranger.
You definitely made my day!

No comments: