Saturday, December 26, 2015

Those One Can Depend On

While running errands this morning, I found myself in a sticky situation: I let myself run out of gas. It was definitely on my list of things to do, but it was the last of my errands, so I was saving it for the trip home. Unfortunately, I miscalculated and found myself stranded at the post office, my next to last errand.

But lucky for me, the Lord put people in my life on whom I can depend. to be there for me in times of trouble.

Two such people would be my best friend and her husband. They have been there for me and my family in times of trouble and are always willing to drop what they are doing to come help, without grumbling.  Just like today, when they came and retrieved me, They took me to the gas station and stayed to make sure I was okay.



I had to learn to depend on myself many years ago. The ex, the one person who should have been the first person I called, my strongest ally, always fell pitifully short of being dependable. He was always full of excuses as to why he couldn't handle something. Oh, he put on a good front at first, but I soon found that I couldn't depend on him to even buy toilet paper, much less pay his share of the bills. But the Lord knew he'd eventually disappoint me. So He strengthened me instead.

The Lord equips us all for the things that He knows that we need. He knew that I would need to be strong in the face of many things. He led me to my new church family. A good group of people who I enjoy worshiping with each week. He would teach me how to survive on my income alone. He blessed me with enough to bless others too. He reminded me of my worthiness. That I am loving and deserve to be loved and treated properly. He reminded me to go back to looking for the good in others and expecting others to do the right things. He is removing those from my life who have no business there.  Those who come to steal my joy.

The thief  (Satan) comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it more abundantly...John 10:10





No comments: