Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Over the Hump and Down Hill Toward VACATION

Welcome to Hump Day!

I have offiically begun the countdown to vacation! One whole week of not having to be anywhere, or do anything, or be responsible, or punctual, or awake. I will not know how to act!

Next week is also the week of my birthday.

W gave me some really exciting news last night, though he scared me half to death ringing my doorbell at 9:07p.m. 

My mother raised me that "business hours" are from 8:00 a.m. until 8:59 p.m. One does not call someone, or go see someone outside of those hours, unless it is an absolute emergency, like someone is bleeding profusely, or dying. And then only if I can help them in some way. When I was in high school, any friends who would call me late at night, would be greeted with "It is after 9:00 o'clock." Then she would stand over me until I also explained that normal, sane, respectable people did not call someone after 9:00 o'clock and that I would speak to them at a more reasonable hour. Even after I was an adult and out on my own, it felt somewhat naughty to be on the phone with someone after 9:00 p.m.  One was just not meant to be on the phone after 9:00 p.m. Ever.

After this life long conditioning, if Mother ever calls me at 9:05 p.m. to tell me something that she forgot to mention to me at 8:59 p.m. I instantly panic. It is almost Pavlovian. When my brother had his accident and I saw it was my mother calling so late, I knew it would not be good. The day my nephew was born she called me at 5:00 a.m. and despite the happy occasion, my heart still raced a good 30 minutes after the fact. 

But I digress.

He said they are switching some things around at his job, so that he will actually going to be off on the weekends. "Just in time for your birthday!"he said.  He said that his week nights may suck now (more than they suck already...really?) but he will actually get to PLAN some things for the weekend.  I wasn't sure what to be more excited over: That we would actually get to go OUT on a real date (rather than trying to watch a movie in a limited time span on a week day) or that my birthday had crossed his mind.

He only stayed for 15 or 20 minutes, but the little unexpected visit renewed my spirit.

Despite my late evening last night, I awoke with a little spring in my step today.

Three days until my vacation....

Let the countdown begin!

No comments: