Thursday, February 12, 2015

Only Two More Shopping Days Until Valentine's Day

On my way home last night, I had to stop into a local Wallyworld to pick up some last minute items. The whole place was awash in pinks and red. Flowers bouquets, candy hearts and a stuffed menagerie that would make Barnum and Baily jealous.

The store was rather calm, but I know that in a mere 24 hours the place will be a mad house.

I have carefully shopped over the last day or so in order to avoid being in any store on the final 48 hours until Valentine's Day.

I used to love Valentine's Day with it's sugary sweet confections and flowers and fluff. And for all his shortcomings,  D/H  always made a big deal of it too. I was always guaranteed a gitf on Valentine's Day.  My very first gift the year we started dating was a gold necklace and bracelet set with "I (heart) YOU" stamped along the chain. I only had been seing him, maybe three weeks, After our second year of marriage, the gifts suddently stopped, so eventually Valentine's was the ONLY gift that I got each year (not even one on our anniversary) so I came to look forward to it.  Simply because that one day it seemed like he cared for someone other than himself.

We were disccusing Valentine flowers just yesterday when the Boss said that she wanted something "useful" instead.  That got me thinking about why I enjoyed the flowers so much.

Yes, I know, they were temporary. But what grander gesture is there than to spend money on a fleeting bit of splendor, just for the one that you love.

Okay, okay, I know....that is not very practical. I enjoy a good practical gift too.  But practical gifts are for Christmas and your birthday. Or maybe Mother's Day.

Like I said, I had grown accustomed to D/H sending me flowers on Valentine's Day. But as I looked over the sea of roses in this Wallyworld's produce department, it dawned on me, He never had to spend a great deal of money and have FTD deliver them. He could have just as easily picked up one of these $5 bouquets and BROUGHT them to my office, a mere 10 minutes away from his. I would have much rather had that.  But as my BFF Cyn pointed out, he was always more about making himself look good than actually making the effort to be good.  Indeed.

Ladies here in my office are excitedly talking about the  "50 Shades" movie, All those who read it are excitedly making plans to go see it this weekend, I have not heard this type of excitement since "Magic Mike" That will drive up box office sales of  what is at best, a mediocre movie.

I will be happy with my comfy couch and the ever growing DVD collection. W has already suggested crashing my little shindig, since he doesn't have his children.

Whatever...



No comments: