Friday, March 21, 2014

And That Has Made All The Difference

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;       
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,      
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.       
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.       
                             ~Robert Frost (1874-1963)



Sometimes life is full of decisions that can ultimately
change your life.

Who hasn't sat around and thought, "If I had only __________"
I know that I have, chosing the safe route, standing on the sidelines, watching
I'm going to start taking the riskier choice.
Life is too short .
 + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Last night when I got home, sitting on my couch, cat's jockeying for a position in my lap,
I decided to check in with several folks through Facebook just to see what they were up to.

All had asked what I was doing and everyone go the same answer: "Good. Kinda Bored"
Most had answered with some short response about what they were doing.
Then I got this invitation.

"Drop in. The place is kinda messy, but some company would be nice."

I looked at the clock: 7:23 p.m. I was already in my tee-shirt and pajama pants. Settling in.

"Now? I'm in my jammies" I shot back.
Instant reply: "So? It's not a bar. I don't care what you have on. Just a friendly invite."

7:28 p.m. 
Practically midnight for the old Joy.
But 2014 is the Year of Improvement. 
Time to limit saying NO.  Step off the safe path.
Oh what the hell...I might just enjoy myself.

I told him I would get dressed and see him in 30 minutes.

So I was off to hang out with a guy who I only really " knew of", but didn't know.  How is that for taking risks?! But the times I had been around him, he had proved himself more that trustworthy, so I felt pretty safe.

The directions were super simple, and despite passing the building and not being able to turn around, I practically went straight to it.

8:08 p.m.

The neighborhood was a mix of apartment buildings from different eras. His 70's style building faced a brick 40's era building, and new modern construction just up the hill. People milled around on the street, walking to the bars at the other end of the block.  I hung out down here when I was in college, when "Yuppies" in their golf shirts and khakis, frequented the area.  Now they are all "Hipsters,"  living life in artfully mismatched Boho chic.

He had been cooking while we were IM-ing, The smell of freshly baked, seasoned bread greated me at the door. It was intoxicating, and for a moment, made me forget my gluten issue.  The apartment was not messy at all. It was a cozy one-bedroom, with a Frankfurt kitchen, and a large living room/dining room space.

He complimented my weight loss, noting the obvious difference from the last time he saw me in person, this past August. After a quick trip to the c-store at the end of the block, filled with pretty people and a pretty good selection of beer, wine, and snacks (in a GAS  STATION!)  we settled in on the couch.

Converstation came easily for both of us. We discussed and debated a plethora of subjects:  religion, philosophy, our kids,  a little politics, ancient civilization, life on other planets...nothing was off the table. We laughed a lot. He was intellegent, articulate, and funny. He would respectfully disagree with me without forcing his opinions on me. I had forgotten what it was like to share my views and opinions with someone, who could not only have an oposing view, but express it without getting mad and storming off in a huff.

I am quite certain, had I not discovered that it was suddenly midnight, that we wouldn't still be there talking. Time does fly when you are having fun! I hated to leave.  Who knew you could have so much fun just talking?

I will definately be taking this road again.
Now to come up with a blog nickname for him.

I'll have to think about that

until then...
~En-JOY



















No comments: