Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wow! Has It Been Thirty Years?!

Monday. March 24th marked the 30 year anniversary that The Breakfast Club met for detention.

It actually tells you that it is March 24, 1984 in the film. I never noticed, which is surprising, because I notice all sorts of things in films.

Some other notable films from 30 years ago include

Footloose
Police Academy
Splash
Romancing the Stone

I loved Romancing the Stone, until someone had mentioned how much they thought I looked like Kathleen Turner.  Okay, so I did, and still do, a little. I admit it. I really wish I had her voice. Why else do you thing they picked her to be the speaking voice for "Jessica Rabbit?"

Though it wasn't released until February 1985, Monday, radio stations and water cooler cliques all over the country were talking about The Breakfast Club

I can relate to the nostalgia.

Thirty years ago, I was a Junior in high school.  If I could pick one year to go back to and revisit, it would have to be 1984.

I had good hair.
 

 I had a cute boyfriend, who adored me
(why hey there Brown Eyes)

 I was about to be named the majorette squad captain.



I weighed 110 pounds and was in the best shape of my life.

Really, who wouldn't go back? 

I'm not sure I would want to "live" there again. The person I've become is a result of the things that I have faced in those thirty years.  Lessons learned, obstacles overcome, losing the one I love, finding myself.

Sometime in the future, maybe I will get the chance to visit myself back then. There are times that I think maybe I aready have, giving myself messages to help me along.

I wonder if I am the elderly lady I met in 1987,when I was a golden tanned lifeguard, who commented on the awful effects of the sun, showing me her deeply scarred forhead underneath her turban.

I wonder if I am the woman sitting next to me in the abuse counselor's waiting area in 1995, who leaned over and told me that I "will be better off without him," then got up and walked out.

I wonder if or when I may "run into myself" again.

For now, I leave you with an oldie, but a goodie...

~En-JOY


Romancing the Stone ~ Eddy Grant 1984

No comments: